Sunday 28 July 2013

Installing the Engine & Propellor

I bought an OS 46 AX II engine. I already own an OS 29 MAX III and think they are great. The user guide tells you to measure 110mm from the firewall and this would be where the propellor is. This could vary depending on your engine size and I am not sure about the P factor caused by this powerful engine.

The manual also indicates screwing the engine into the plastic mount. My mount is well and truly set after using thread lock on the bolts. I need to ensure the holes drilled are 100 % correct. I have bought 4 hex bolts with self locking nuts.

With this is mind, I will be getting a local club member to help install my engine. I am not sure if my 11 x 6 Master Airscrew propellor is balanced, so will check this as well. Hopefully the spinner will fit without slipping when the throttle is high.

Another issue is the fuel line. I fitted a fuel inlet on the side of my plane. The fuel hose does not run straight from the tank, and the filter makes this even more tricky. These are all questions that will be better answered by an experienced club member.

The engine was fitted after painting dope over the mount and engine area. The dope will dissolve the colour on the film, so be careful. The holes did not line up exactly and so the engine is about 3mm to the right. I think it may actually help improve the P factor issue. Time will tell.

The propeller was gently sanded on the edges and fitted with the spinner. I had to increase the propellor hole to fit the engine perfectly. The spinner is not a great fit, so still need to sort this out.

I still need to setup the throttle servo and push rod.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment