Sunday 28 July 2013

Working with CA and Epoxy Glue.

After watching the Youtube movie "All about epoxy glues for RC models" it became evident that having a high quality epoxy is important. I bought all my ZAP glue from my local hobby shop and was pleased with the results.

In the end I bought the 30 & 5 min Epoxy, Medium and Thin CA, Thread Lock and Canopy glue. It all adds up, but fine if you are building other models.

The epoxy was easy to use and mix, and cleaned off the plane with nail polish remover. (Acetone)

The CA glue was more of a challenge. The thin CA runs very fast and it is easy to get on your fingers. In a panic trying not to glue your fingers, you may end up glueing things around you. Check the glue bottle does not have any excess CA before pushing down the cap. Mine did, and sprayed CA glue over my plane.

I would suggest buying the small bottles of CA. They need to stay in a fridge and do not last long. Make sure you put the bottles in a container to avoid damaging your fridge shelf.

I used a spot of CA glue on screws that are permanent. The servos holes were filled with 2 drops of thin CA and left to dry. This was after the thread from the screw was made in the wood.

The canopy glue was useful for glueing foam rubber inside the plane

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment